Skip to navigation

Monday, October 30, 2006

Blawg Review #81

Some pile on the blawgosphere as a realm of little insight, little blogging, bad graphics and bad layout. Add to the mix bone-chilling terror and audio quality reminiscent of a rampaging charnel grub — "Horrible nattering, like cicadas and screams..." — and you've got Howell-o-ween II: it's always been personal.

Don't think the thought of bailing on this assignment (citing blog-life balance) hasn't occurred to me. And don't count your undead chickens just yet, it could still happen, particularly as I'm finishing up some time after 1:00 a.m. on my bedroom floor, having put Tyler back to sleep in here when he woke up with a coughing fit. But assembling this seasonally-spiced potpourri reminds me that a big reason to "volunteer" to host Blawg Review is simply to have the chance to collect and get pointed to a huge pile of great news, thought, and insights. Hmm, guess that's a pretty good reason to read, too...

We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot
Drink up me 'earties, yo ho

tylersaurusrex
photo by DaddyNewt

We extort, we pilfer, we filch, and sack
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho
Maraud and embezzle, and even high-jack
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho

We kindle and char, inflame and ignite
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho
We burn up the city, we're really a fright
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho

We're rascals, scoundrels, villains, and knaves
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho
We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho

We're beggars and blighters, ne'er-do-well cads
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho
Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho

And the post of the week and creative thought/writing award goes to Colin Samuels (inspired by this fantastic Wired compilation), Just think what Hemingway could have accomplished with three years of legal education!: "Pound of flesh? Nominal damages, Fatso!"

Blawg Review has information about next week's host, and instructions how to get your blawg posts reviewed in upcoming issues.


Creative Commons LicenseUnless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by Denise M. Howell and included in the Bag and Baggage weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons License.