Skip to navigation

Monday, June 05, 2006

Newly Minted

A friend and colleague of mine would like a new phrase, please. One that describes the frustration at being unable to hit pause or rewind on real life as in the digital world:

For example, if I'm listening to the radio on the way into work and I hear a good song or a good joke, I'd like to hear it again right then, but can't. Or if one of my girls has just asked me something that I missed because I was distracted, I'd like to just be able to hit the eight-second replay button as I can on TiVo. Sometimes I find myself not paying attention to something and must remind myself that there is not back-up tape or transcript for what is happening.

Seems like ground Urban Dictionary or Wired's "Jargon Watch" should already have covered, but I like "Singularity Itch," which would translate into a desire to hurry along the inevitable merger of human and machine intelligence. Once the Singularity arrives, we'll presumably have the successors of Google and TiVo on board at all times, with the ability to record, playback, and search Life As We Know It — eliminating pesky senior moments certainly, but also preserving every bit of awkward teen angst with brutal clarity.

[Tags: , , ]


Creative Commons LicenseUnless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by Denise M. Howell and included in the Bag and Baggage weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons License.