Skip to navigation

Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Pesky Little Things, Jobs

Hi! I've managed to get through a ton of backlogged work over the last couple of days, but concomitantly it has meant sparse blogging. I'll see what I can do about that in the next hour or so, but while I'm cobbling together some more posts check out these two very wonderful developments to which people have been paying attention while I wasn't paying attention:

Dave Winer is mulling over how one would create a Subscriptions Harmonizer. Knowing that Dave is thinking about this has put a big ol' silly grin on my face. Reason being, there are at least four computers in my life I rely on to get things done (I say at least four, because if I'm working in one of our other offices I'll often just use a "visiting attorney's" setup there rather than tote along a laptop). Some run OS X (mine), others run Windows (hubby's; the firm's). The real reason I've never gotten hooked on this whole aggregator thing is it's simply too big a headache to (1) install an OS-appropriate aggregator on each machine, and (2) customize each aggregator on each machine with my subscriptions. If Dave's Harmonizer pans out, this will be SOOOOOO CONVENIENT. I can't stand it, I can't wait. Go, Big D!

Hugely exciting in a different way is the fact that Daubert on the Web, a site that already was an invaluable resource for any lawyer who deals with expert witness issues (that's most of us), now has Blog 702. The name's a reference to the fact that in the U.S. federal courts Rule 702 of the Federal Rules of Evidence is the basis for admitting expert witness testimony. I give you Peter Nordberg's inaugural post:

It is the year 2001, and you think yourself modern. So you labor mightily, tirelessly poring over dusty volumes, to build a web site on Daubert. It is a daunting and transforming task. You confront the mysteries of html. You start having opinions about things like javascript. Abandoning your shame over self-promotion, you link and struggle to get linked in return. You even somehow manage to get yourself crawled by Google.

It is the year 2002. At long last, all your efforts have paid off. Not monetarily, mind you. But spiritually. Your handiwork is finally available to people around the globe, at the merest click of a mouse, and a few people have actually noticed.

Quite a bracing feeling.

But now it is the year 2003, and as it turns out, nobody cares these days, unless you have a blog. So here you are.

Hee! (Just one thing: Give us an R! Give us an S! Give us another S!...) [via Ernie, via Ed]


Creative Commons LicenseUnless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by Denise M. Howell and included in the Bag and Baggage weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons License.