Skip to navigation

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Always


reincarnation
Originally uploaded by Mike D'Angelo

(Talking about sex is a picnic compared to this stuff.)

Mommy.
Yes?
When we get old, will we turn into bones like the dinosaurs?
Um. Yes.
Why?
Um. That's just the natural way of things honey. Things are born, they live, they, um, turn into bones.
But I don't want that to happen!!!

Um. But it happens to everything honey. Plants, animals, trees...

But not people!!!
Um. Yes, people too. You have a long, full, happy life. But it doesn't last forever.

But I don't want that to happen!!! I want another life.
Well. Some people think that does happen. Nobody knows for sure what happens to the part that is you, the Tyler part. But some people think that when your life is over, you start a new life, and this happens again and again and again. They call it reincarnation. There's a story about cats: that they have nine lives. It's just a story, but it's kind of like that.

I'm going to have another life.
Well, maybe you will. But what happens when that life is over?
Then I'll have another, and another.
Well, maybe you will. But here's what I think. I think you get one chance. One chance to have a good life. And you have to be kind, the best person you can be. So when you get to the end of your life, you're happy. You think, I did as good as I could do.

But I can't always be good!
I know. No one can. But you always want to know you tried your best. And then, that's how you live forever. Because the people you knew think of you always, and the good things you did, and how much they love you.

Mommy.
Yes?
Will you think of me always?
Always.


Creative Commons LicenseUnless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by Denise M. Howell and included in the Bag and Baggage weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons License.